Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Art 'road trip' - Day 1 (recap)

Well, let's hope my trip ends up better than it started! :)

..apologies for the late post, for Day 1 -- but this area has sporadic cell phone coverage (??) and my room didn't have working internet/wifi (?) -- which they are hopefully fixing their router sometime today! (I have to search the town for a place that has working internet.. most cafe's here do not have it!)

As for the trip:
I drove down from Seattle to Cannon Beach (OR) -- which was about 230 miles and took me a bit over 4 hrs (due to curvy roads and one lane traffic for the last 60-80 miles)


All packed up and ready to go!
 
I arrived at my cottage at 4:15pm -- and due to daylight savings time/combined with a storm that moved in -- the lighting conditions (nor weather) were good for outdoor painting -- bummer!

Interior of my cottage

Interior of my cottage

Interior of my cottage

Exterior of my cottage
 
So.. after unpacking, I went out to explore the town.. charming seaside town -- which I am sure is a 'happening place to be' in the summer. This time of year -- not so much. The town closed down completely at 5pm! The shops were closed.. the coffeehouses closed at 2pm and the restaurants were dead. I felt like I was in a post apocalyptic movie! ..very surreal to see it so quiet and no one around!

Downtown Cannon Beach

Downtown Cannon Beach

As I drove around, the weather got worse.. high winds and low visibility (rain and fog) but I still managed to travel to a nearby town called Seaside -- in search of a place to watch the Monday Night football game and to get dinner. Every place I visited was empty of customers.. so odd? I finally found an Irish Pub that had both of my 'wish list items' -- and I wasn't the only customer in the place.. this particular place had 3 others! :)

I went back to my room at 8:45pm and decided to read a bit (art books, etc) and then managed to do some artwork on my computer (which I'll post here shortly) -- it's a digital plein air painting that I started a week ago (done on site, in my neighborhood -- using a Surface Pro PC and Art Rage). I am still finishing the piece -- adding various details, etc. The piece is turning it well -- and it's a new looks or technique I was exploring -- which was using a 'dry/pastel-like' technique.

Colors of Fall #6 -- Work in Progress


The weather for Day 2 looks promising -- hopefully, I can manage to get some Plein Air painting in!

more to come..

Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment